- This event has passed.
Assault on Morrow Mountain Ride – March 2019
March 16 @ 7:15 am - 2:00 pm
The Assault on Morrow Mountain Series consist of six “Show & Go” rides held each year from March through September. The rides attract a wide range of cyclists from all around the Carolinas. The route is a 60-mile loop from Locust, NC to the Morrow Mountain State Park and back. Quiet country roads and beautiful scenery are highlighted by the mid-ride climb to the top of Morrow Mountain.
However, don’t be fooled by the beauty that surrounds you. The first 20 miles are deceivingly fast. Moderate climbs and the famous “Chicken Shit Hill” will soon give way to the climb up Morrow Mountain. Enjoy the view at the top and be sure to leave a “little gas in the tank” because the last 30 miles will prove to be the real test of your strength and stamina.
Assault on Morrow Mountain Ride Details
- Ride Start Time: 8:00 am / West Stanly Middle School – 339 Running Creek Church Rd, Locust, NC 28097
- We will be using Stanley Amateur Radios Society’s repeater 146.985 -600, 100 Hz
- Here is a link to the Google map of the route. https://drive.google.com/open?id=1qkod42LaIhimpuipdXxrEZygk3m3kbHo&usp=sharing
- Registration: Not Required Waiver: Yes Cost: $2
- Ride Distance: 60 miles, marked the route with approx. 4400ft of vertical climb.
- Difficulty: The ride is best suited for Intermediate and Advanced level riders.
- Ride Type: The ride is a “Show & Go” ride that offers minimal support. Rest stops at local stores are located along the route. We provide sports drinks and snacks at the top of the mountain and an ice cold Coke at the finish. Diet Coke’s for the triathletes. I know…that’s a lot for $2.
- Weather: The ride will be canceled if the temperature is below 40 degrees at the start or if the chance of rain exceeds 50% before 11am. Weather-related cancellations are based on current weather predictions for Albemarle, NC and will be posted on the WeeklyRides.com Facebook group page no later than 6 am on the day of the ride.