Guidelines for Repeaters and Radio Systems Operated by the Mecklenburg Amateur Radio Society
A primary goal of the repeaters operated by the Mecklenburg Amateur Radio Society is to be inclusive to all of our active members. As such, we are committed to providing a friendly, safe and welcoming environment for all, regardless of gender, sexual orientation, ability, ethnicity, socioeconomic status, and religion.
This code of conduct outlines our expectations for all those who participate on our repeaters. We invite all those who participate in the Mecklenburg Amateur Radio Society activities to help us create safe and positive experiences for everyone.
The following behaviors are expected and requested of all:
- Participate in an authentic and active way. In doing so, you contribute to the health and longevity of this community.
- Please keep discussion friendly. Differing opinions are welcome. Treat everyone with the same common courtesy you would any other person on the street.
- Exercise consideration and respect in your speech and actions. You may not agree with what someone says, but disagree with the issue, not the person.
- Attempt collaboration before conflict.
- Refrain from demeaning, discriminatory, or harassing behavior and speech.
- Be mindful of your surroundings and of your fellow participants. Alert group leaders if you notice a dangerous situation, someone in distress, or violations of this Code of Conduct, even if they seem inconsequential.
The following behaviors are considered harassment and are unacceptable within our community:
- Violence, threats of violence or violent language directed against another person.
- Sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobic, ableist or otherwise discriminatory jokes and language.
- Discussing sexually explicit or violent material.
- Personal insults, particularly those related to gender, sexual orientation, race, religion, or disability.
- Politics, Race, Religion, Sex, and foul language, are prohibited unless specifically part of a factual narrative.
- Deliberate intimidation, stalking or following.
- Advocating for, or encouraging, any of the above behavior.
Consequences of Unacceptable Behavior
- Unacceptable behavior from any community member, including sponsors and those with decision-making authority, will not be tolerated.
- Anyone asked to stop unacceptable behavior is expected to comply immediately.
- If a community member engages in unacceptable behavior, the community organizers may take any action they deem appropriate, up to and including a temporary ban or permanent expulsion from the community without warning.
If you are subject to or witness unacceptable behavior, or have any other concerns, please notify a board member as soon as possible. You can contact the board members at firstname.lastname@example.org.
If you feel you have been falsely or unfairly accused of violating this Code of Conduct, you should notify the board with a concise description of your grievance. Your grievance will be handled in accordance with our existing governing policies.
We expect all community participants (contributors, paid or otherwise; sponsors; and other guests) to abide by this Code of Conduct on all repeaters and/or radio systems operated by the Mecklenburg Amateur Radio Society.
This code of conduct and its related procedures also applies to unacceptable behavior occurring outside the scope of community activities when such behavior has the potential to adversely affect the safety and well-being of community members.
Last updated: 01/08/2021