[W4BFB Members] Packet Radio Development [Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO] Pi TNC Availability

kf4llf@yahoo.com kf4llf at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 3 21:58:07 CST 2013

Hi Folks,

John Wiseman, G8BPQ has designed a stackable packet radio TNC that interfaces to a Raspberry Pi mini PC. This build should produce some very exciting and positive results for Packet Radio. He is also redesigning his famous BPQ node switch software to run under a Linux environment.

The Raspberry Pi is an ARM based mini PC that runs on the Linux operating system. It requires only 5 volts DC in order to operate. For more information about the Pi, join the Yahoo Users Group: Raspberry_Pi_4-Ham_RADIO. Several software builds are being developed for this PC for use with many ventures of Amateur Radio including IRLP, D-Star, Packet, APRS and much more. The mini PC is available for purchase through several websites for around $35.00 online. This unit boasts many features with a small carbon footprint!
The TNC is a separate board and does not currently have a list price. An integrated 1 watt 440 radio is also in development.

If you are interested in obtaining one of these TNC's, see illustrations of the TNC interfaced to an RPi and more information in the email listed below.

I am by no way affiliated with John Wiseman or the Raspberry Pi organization. The use of such technology can take us hams into the next digital realm!

Seth O'Neal

Sent from my HTC smartphone.